Types of Intramural Grants
- This category includes new projects that have not been funded by intramural grants
- Previously funded projects that have changed significantly (new specific aims)
Accepted intramural grants that require an extension and additional funding
April 15th, August 15th, & December 15th
If < $1,000, submit at any time
- Requests for equipment (common or lab specific)
- Institutional cost sharing is being requested as part of an external grant
Publication costs or article processing charges.
To support research student projects, funds for this grant are used to purchase supplies that will support summer research students or rotation students.
submit any time
- Submit Intramural Grant Application to the Research Committee at email@example.com
- The Research Committee evaluates the intramural grant application using the criteria below and makes a recommendation to the Associate Dean of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Scientific merit of proposed project
- Personnel qualifications and/or previous record
- Budget appropriateness
- Medical student training
- The Associate Dean of Research and Sponsored Programs reviews the Research Committee’s recommendation and makes a funding recommendation to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean
- The Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean reviews the Research Committee’s and Associate Dean’s recommendations and makes a final decision regarding funding the Intramural Grant
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the scientific merit of my proposed project?
- The scientific merit of your proposed research is the design of the study and its overall scientific quality. The strengths and weaknesses of the proposal, the theoretical foundations of the proposed work, the scientific soundness of the research plan, and the expected broader intellectual significance of the project are evaluated.
- Is there a maximum amount of funding that could be requested?
- No, your proposed budget can be any amount. However, there is an overall budget each year for the Intramural Grant program. Once those funds are used, the Intramural Grant program is put on hiatus until the next fiscal year. Please note that the IM grant program has not been put on hiatus in the past 10 years, at least.
- Can I submit an Intramural Grant if I have start-up funds?
- Yes, but the Intramural Grant should not be used in lieu of start-up funds. For example, the Intramural Grant Program can be used to request a) unforeseen expenses for your start-up project, b) support for a completely new project, or c) replace/purchase equipment.
- What types of Intramural Grants have been funded?
- WVSOM researchers have diverse research interests. Using data from the previous four IM grant cycles, the following types of grants have been funded.
- Five Basic Research Grants
- Four Survey Research Grants
- Three Equipment Grants
- One Publication Costs Grant
- Can I have my intramural grant reviewed for completeness prior to sending to the Research Committee?
- Yes, any member of the Research Committee can assist with this request. Please keep in mind that this assistance does not translate to your grant getting accepted by the Research Committee, Associate Dean, or Dean.
- The Research Committee, Associate Dean, or Dean has asked for more information regarding my grant. Does that mean it has been rejected?
- Not at all. As Intramural Grants funds are WVSOM funds, the Research Committee is tasked with reviewing grants that will produce an end product that either helps to answer a scientific question and/or provide medical students valuable research experience. As such, additional information or clarification may be necessary.
- I understand that startup funds at WVSOM are for a one year period. How can I continue my research beyond that period?
- Start-up funds at WVSOM are only available for a one-year period. However, OBA is often able to roll over those funds to a second, or third, year. The intramural grant program is designed to allow for continued funding beyond the life of the start-up funds. This type of application falls under the Continuation category, described above.
- Chair: Marc Benson
- Vice-Chair: Imaan Benmerzouga
- Jill Cochran
- Joyce Morris-Wiman
- Christopher Pankey
- Ex-Officio: Bob Foster
- Ex-Officio: Jandy Hanna