Students recognized at Spring Awards Ceremony
Medical students at WVSOM were recognized for their academic and community achievements for the 2010-2011 school year at the annual Spring Awards Ceremony.
The following is a list of the student awards and recipients:
The Dr. Roland P. Sharp President's Award and Foundation Award of Excellence for Student Achievement:
Soham Dave from Pasadena, Md.
- Soham Dave from Pasadena, Md.
The Fredric W. Smith Memorial Scholarship:
Jerry White from Logan, W.Va.
- Jerry White from Logan, W.Va.
The James R. Stookey, D.O., Manipulative Medicine Scholarship:
Kim Williams from Richmond, Va.
- Kim Williams from Richmond, Va.
The Paul Kleman, D.O., Family Practice Student Award:
Cody Honl from Winthrop, Minn.
- Cody Honl from Winthrop, Minn.
WVSOM Alumni Association Scholarships:
Lance Shinn from Mount Alto, W.Va., and Jaschar Shakuri-Rad from Vienna, W.Va.
- Lance Shinn from Mount Alto, W.Va., and Jaschar Shakuri-Rad from Vienna, W.Va.
The WVSOM Family Practice Scholarship:
Ryan Miller from Martinsburg, W.Va.
- Ryan Miller from Martinsburg, W.Va.
The McGraw-Hill/Lange Medical Student Award for Academic Excellence:
- Carolyn Reed from Williamsburg, Va.,
and Michael Garone from Oakton, Va.
Marlene's Out-of-State Student Scholarship (MOSS):
- Jonathan Donahue from Haslett, Mich.,
- Lauren Benninger from Smithfield, Pa.,
- Courtney Brunton from Sandy Hook, Conn.,
- Jessica Grimes from Johns Island, S.C.,
- Kyle Rezac from Laurel, Md.,
- Katherine Seiler from San Luis Obispo, Calif.,
and Christopher Williams from Tallahassee, Fla.
The Loretta Moore Memorial Award:
Erika Suzanne Nearpass of Hartford, Mich.
- Erika Suzanne Nearpass of Hartford, Mich.
Randy Dailey's Memorial Award:
Brinkman Murray from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
- Brinkman Murray from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
The Eva Teter Hammer Scholarship:
Anthony Basel from Bozman, Md.
- Anthony Basel from Bozman, Md.
The Greenbrier Military School Alumni Association Scholarship:
- Soham Dave from Pasadena, Md.,
and Adele Plazak from Columbia, Md.
The Emergency Medicine Club Scholarship:
David Geisinger from Moon Township, Pa.
- David Geisinger from Moon Township, Pa.
WVSOM's Diversity Task Force Scholarship:
Jason Jackson from Pittsburg, Pa.
- Jason Jackson from Pittsburg, Pa.
The Fredric W. Smith Community Service Recognition:
Emergency Medicine Club.
- Emergency Medicine Club.
The Special Award Presentation:
- Mark Messmer from Midland, Mich.
Community Service Awards
During the awards ceremony students were also acknowledged for their community service work.
The Translating Osteopathic Understanding into Community Health (TOUCH) program encourages medical students to volunteer at least 50 hours of community service to the area. This year, WVSOM students have volunteered 13,612 hours of their time to the community.
Director of Marketing & Public Relations
Graphics Design Senior
Program Assistant II
Community Outreach Coordinator